Thursday, January 8, 2009

Last Night's Episode of the Real World



I watched the Real World last night. I'm not really sure how I felt about it. Read my thoughts below:

Here's what I liked about it:
-There's a 23 year old army veteran who recently returned from Iraq. I think this will bring a new perspective to the show and give us an idea of what is going on there and how it is affecting people our age.
-Having a transgender cast member will also shed light on a topic which many of us haven't been exposed to.
-If there had been a camera every time I got really drunk, I probably would never drink alcohol again after watching myself. Thankfully Real World always has one cast member that drinks too much and reminds me why I never want to drink as much as they do. Judging from last night's episode, Ryan will be taking on this role for me.
-I lowered myself a couple points on the weird scale. Somehow Real World cast members always seem to outshine me. 


What I didn't like:
-As a blond, I felt discriminated against and unrepresented. Just kidding. But honestly, can't they have at least one ditsy blond we can laugh at?
-No hot guys: The only straight men that MTV is providing us this season are a Mormon who is obviously suppressing his true sexuality, an Iraq veteran who was cute until I heard him sing (sorry), and an inspiring model who is more obsessed with the gym and himself than I am with Shark Week (which is a lot).
-I think they overdid it a bit with the whole "trying to make more controversial than ever" thing. 
-Didn't MTV already deal with the whole 'Mormon" issue? I have nothing against Mormons, but if they are trying to be controversial, this one's been done.
-Devyn, the Kansas City pageant queen " wants to be taken seriously despite her model looks." Honestly, aren't we over not taking people seriously because they are pretty? In fact, rumor has it, it may even give you an advantage. 
-The girls go crazy over Scott's toned abs- I'll admit the closest I've ever come to abs like these are on the cover of Muscle Magazine. But that doesn't mean I'm about about to lower my personality standards for them.

I'm not sure if I'll be watching anymore Real World Episodes. For the most part it makes me feel old, and I'm constantly reminding of the fact that in one year (25) I can no longer be a cast member of the show. Check out the roommates meeting above. 



1 comment:

  1. Last night was the first time in a long time that I tuned into the Real World.

    I agree that none of the guys are cute. Honestly, I don't like muscle guys like Scott. I think when you've gone that far, it's gross.

    I'm actually kind of excited about this season.

    I think Sarah and Baya are pretty cool so far.

    No sure about the army guy. I liked him at first, but I don't think he's very open minded.

    ReplyDelete